Thursday, June 26, 2008

45. The Canoe Boys: The First Epic Scottish Sea Journey by Kayak


By Alistair Dunnett
Rated 5 Stars
Purchased from Amazon

I don't buy all that many books anymore but when something special comes along I make an exception. Besides I knew this was one my library would probably not purchase so I decided to treat myself and buy it and I am so glad I did. It's a real treasure and is exquisitely written. One has to wonder which of them was the better writer. Was he just as good as she was, or was she just as good as he was. Whatever, the ability to write a thrilling sea scene was most definitely a family talent.

FROM BACK OF COVER: "It's too late in the year!" they were advised, but they still did it. By canoe from Bowling to Kyle of Lochalsh with numerous stops along the way, Alastair Dunnett and Seamas Adam spent a heady Autumn in 1934 meandering up the glorious West Coast of Scotland. On their way they sent reports back to the Daily Record informing the readers of their progress and the people they met along the way. Their account makes fascinating reading as they were hailed by onlookers and bystanders wherever they went as 'The Canoe Boys'. Escapades as varied as running the infamous tide-rush of the Dorus Mhor to a balmy harvest working on Calve Island off Mull, quenching their thirst with a mug of drammach (oats and water) are related in superb, lyrical style by Dunnett. This is an adventure story of youthful exuberance and of how life once was lived before the war changed everything for ever."

No comments: