Wednesday, August 1, 2007

75. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows


By J.K. Rowling
Rated 5 stars+

I drug my feet on reading this because I knew that when I had finished it the series would be over. Throughout this whole series was all about right vs wrong, love and loyalty. How all the religious right people can fail to miss this is a mystery to me. The only excuse I can think of them is that they never bothered to read it.

Of all the many theories I had about going in I was so glad to discover that most of them were right. I am glad that Snape was not a total baddie but I never believed that Dumbledore was really dead until I was forced to accept it.

The deaths that occured were very sad and some of them I never saw comming. Hedwig and Dooby probably hit me the hardest because they were such innocents. The death of Voldemart was kind of anti-climatic I thought. In the end he turned out easier to kill than I expected.

One of the members of my e-mail group pointed out the interesting fact that each Horocrux was destroyed by a different character. That flew right past me when I was reading.

It bothered me that the Malfoy's managed to weasel themselves out of trouble and I thought that Percy seeing the light at the 11th hour + 50 minutes was too little too late for me to forgive him.

I loved Molly Weasley's fight with Bellatrix. It was such fun to see her use her magic wand for something besides clearing the dinner table and my favorite visual was of Professor McGonagall running down a corrider waving her wand in the air shouting charge followed by a clattering herd of desks.

I am so sad that this series has ended. For my part it could have gone on forever.

No comments: