Wednesday, August 1, 2007

74. Hood


By Stephen Lawhead
Rated 4 Stars

I just finished Hood by Stephen Lawhead a few minutes ago. I stayed up late last night and then picked it back up this morning and read to the end. (hooray for being retired and able to indulge in this kind of behavior )

I highly recommend this book (THANKS Beth) but I need to put in a couple of caveats. First one is that I found it hard to get into. That this is the traditional Robin Hood tale, reset in an earlier time, in wales with all of the characters much the same but different was distracting to me. Also, as I get older my mind doesn't seem to be as elastic as it used to be and some characters from books I have previously read remain fondly in my mind. Faulke Fitzwilliam from Lords of the White Castle is one of them. That one of the villains in this book was named Count Falkes de Braose. Also since LOTWC was set in roughly in the same place as this book only in a later time it took a while for me to adjust.


But these are all my own personal problems and have little to do with the story. It's a very good book. In fact, and here I go again, between pages 404 and 418 such brilliantly written mayhem occurred that the thought briefly crossed my mind that Francis Crawford must have wandered into the story for a short visit to stir things up.

The next book in this series is not over here but is coming out next month in the UK. Rats! This means I have a long wait before the next book or I will have to bite the bullet and order it with my devalued dollar from amazon/uk.

Jeanette

No comments: